[Continued] Spinning the Web

Driven from Coruscant by the Galactic Alliance, the governing body of Imperial leadership now resides upon the world of Bastion.
Doren Vassyl

[Continued] Spinning the Web

Post by Doren Vassyl » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:37 pm

***Constancia System, Deep Core***

***Capital City of Solace, Governor's Palace***

Doren Vassyl

Re: [Continued] Spinning the Web

Post by Doren Vassyl » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 pm

"What I don't understand", Governor Greejatus dryly mused "Is why you refuse to assume this position yourself Captain". Doren leaned back in his richly upholstered seat and smirked, "Your Excellency, all patriotism aside, you yourself once commented on my severe lack of political expertise. For now at least, I am a military man, and will continue to serve as such in the interest of this committee and the Imperial public at large". Magno did not anticipate such a poignant response, and stared bewildered for a moment, before offering a nonchalant shrug and crossing his arms in submission. Vassyl exhaled softly, and took a moment to visually scan the room. Despite its humble beginnings, the Captain's little shadow council had continued to gain momentum and size in the aftermath of the recent campaigns.

Seated off to the right of Greejatus was one Cadmus Tinn, a Faranian native and upcoming executive in one of the larger Corporate Sector mining guilds. Doren had initially made Tinn's acquaintance during the recent Brosin revolt, and nurtured a moderate correspondence from then on. No more than a year or so older than Vassyl himself, the man possessed a mind for business like no other, and was exceptionally swift at coordinating ore shipments on a moment's notice. Swinging his gaze off to left, Doren nodded over at the familiar visage of Dreafus Pol, and a slender Muun sitting directly beside him. Shaa Merath was a deviant among his kind; servant only to cunning and personal achievement, his ruthless competitive streak left an ill impression on his peers, and a memo of notice to any off-world onlookers. Social standing aside, the low-born bureaucrat had seen a meteoric rise in the IBC based solely on skill alone. He was dangerous, unpredictable, and full of ominous potential.

As the Captain sat pondering his more lethal associates, a soft and sudden voice broke the silence, cooing, "Apologies for my tardiness gentlemen, the Governor's security checks were rather- thorough". Looking up, Vassyl's soft brown eyes were instantly invaded by the jade green spheres of Semele Raquoran. Clad in a clean white administrator's tunic, the Velcar President commanded the immediate attention of room's occupants. As Semele approached the table, her glossy blonde hair scintillated in the interior lighting, almost affecting the illusion that she was glowing. Needless to say, the previous holocalls had not done the good lady justice. Doren moved to stand, but Greejatus was two seconds ahead of him, and leapt up announcing, "It is I who owe you an apology Madame President; you have my word, next time you visit Constancia you will not be troubled". Vassyl, in light of his quick defeat, slumped back into his chair and conspicuously rolled his eyes.

Having ousted Doren's opportunity for pleasantries, Magno decided to continue his theatrics by spinning the chair nearest to him towards the ethereal businesswoman. Her eyes flashed towards the governor with a brief green intensity, followed by an almost inaudible sound Vassyl charted somewhere between a snort and a cough. Without a further response, Raquoran took one calculated step to the left before taking a seat and the far end of the table, opposite to Doren. Pol, Tinn, and Merath exchanged surprised looks, while the Governor, now more red in appearance, awkwardly reclined back into his own chair. The Captain shot a knowing grin over to Magno in a brief moment of personal pleasure, before clearing his throat and starting, "My thanks to all of you for convening on such short notice. These are troubling times, and, for the sake of the public good as well as our private goals, we must not hesitate to drive our plans ahead with a more aggressive hand". Every pair of eyes were fixed on the Captain, yet among them Semele's gaze burned brightest, who offered without blinking, "And this candidate of yours, you believe he will advance the cause of this committee?". A thin-lipped grin sprouted across Vassyl's face, and in calm tone he answered back, "Without a doubt".
-------
"He's dangerous that one"
"Because he's a fanatic?"
"A fanatic with a conscience"

Corran Vellar

Post by Corran Vellar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:30 pm

Constancia System, Constancia.

Ryder strode up the stairs of the governor’s palace, still thinking about the offer to join some “mutually beneficial” group the once-Commander now Captain Vassyl offered him to join. He stopped at the doorway looking at his datapad one last time. It was an exclusive (and impressive) council the military man had formed, Ryder’s own advisors had suggested he take up the offer. It never hurt to have powerful individuals in one’s pocket. With the added influence, Ryder’s three companies would flourish within the borders of the Empire.

He took a deep breath, looked up and stepped through the doors of the estate. The human immediately found himself at a security checkpoint. An officer dressed in Imperial uniform stepped up to the CEO.

“Identification please,” the officer requested, holding out an open palm.

Ryder reached into one of his jackets’ interior pockets and pulled his Imperial identification card and handed it over. “You should find everything in order,” he replied calmly.

The officer looked it over and handed it back. “Sorry for the inconvenience Mr. Ryder, but you’ll have to be scanned by our personnel.”

“Of course,” Ryder complied, stepped over to the guards with the scanners.

The two men did a once over of the human male and immediately stopped as the guard on his right side scanners began beeping as it passed Ryder’s arm. Another set of guards stepped forward with weapons drawn. “Sir, please remove your jacket.”

Ryder nodded and slowly removed his black trench coat revealing his navy blue Kuat style dress shirt. He had no weapons on his belt or within the coat as the guards checked it thoroughly. Once again the guard with the scanner did another sweep of Ryder’s person and on cue the scanner reacted at the same spot.

“Sorry Mr. Ryder but we are going to have to ask you to remove your shirt.”

Ryder let a smirk cross his face as he began to unclip his shirts clasps. As he slowly pulled the dress shirt off it revealed a heavily scarred torso underneath. It showed an untold story of a tortured soul and it was evident that everyone became slightly uncomfortable. Finally it also revealed from the right shoulder blade down to the fingertips of Ryder’s right hand was an advanced robotic arm. It was plated in Mandalorian Iron and had a coppery tint to it which to a knowing eye was the sign of Cortosis weave. The forearm had a holocomputer which flickered with life, all together this arm would easily set off the security scanners, for it used powerful energy cells to function.

“Do you need me to take off my trousers as well?” Ryder asked, unimpressed, but clearly amused.

“Oh, no sir,” the officer finally spoke. “Our apologies for the inconvenience.”

Ryder began putting his shirt back on. “Next time,” he remarked helpfully, “you might ask if a person has any cybernetics before having them undress.”

The officer nodded, “of course sir, once more, sorry Mr. Ryder.”

With curt smile Ryder went on his way. He followed the instructions on the datapad till he came to the conference room door. His hand danced across the control panel, imputing the code, and the door opened with a hiss. Ryder stepped in as he re-clasped the last clip on his dress shirt and then tugged on his gloves.

“Sorry I’m late,” Ryder spoke, his accent Dantooine raised human. “Governor your security could use some work, I could send a consultant over, for a discounted price of course.” The human let his million credit smile cross his face. “Ah but where are my manners.” His grey eyes looked at Doren before scanning across the rest of the gathering. “I’m Ryder, CEO of Black Star Systems.”

Doren Vassyl

Post by Doren Vassyl » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:23 pm

“You mustn’t hold the current system against me, Mister Ryder”, Magno began with a honeyed tone of voice, “The security measures were put into place long before my administration, such is the nature of core politics”. “One trashy law piled onto another, and another, and another”, Dreafus playfully interposed, until the stares of his associates warranted a conclusion, “Well- you get the picture”. Slowly recomposing his aloof smile, Greejatus returned his attention to the Black Star CEO, and continued, “Please make yourself comfortable, we have much to discuss”. The Governor of Constancia patiently waited for Ryder to sample the fine upholstered seats surrounding the onyx table, before handing the torch to Doren, “Captain Vassyl, would you care to give the our guest the abridged version of the agenda?”.

“As you wish, Governor”, Vassyl flatly answered, leaning forward in his seat to better address his audience, “Regarding our previous sessions, the decision has been made to pool the committee’s resources for the purpose of elevating Mister Ryder to a title of nobility”. Vassyl fixed his gaze onto the candidate in question, and unerringly addressed him, “The path to power and influence is a steep one my friend, and this will not be a simple jaunt through the holopark”. Extending a hand out towards the other occupants of the room, the Captain sternly elaborated, “Each individual present in this room serves a unique roll, not unlike distinct units of an organism. Some serve as the brain, others the heart, the stomach, and so on”. Without warning, Vassyl leveled an accusatory finger at the newcomer, commenting, “And you, Mr. Ryder, shall be our circulatory system”.

Having hung his upper torso further and further over the table, it was necessary for Doren to pause momentarily and steady himself using his elbows. The reprieve was brief, brief to the point that no one could get a word in before the militant lecturer resumed, “Your company will commence shipping for my mining holdings, as well as those belonging to Mister Tinn. Simultaneously, you will allot transports to the ever-expanding product line of the Velcar Group”. Cadmus offered Ryder a slight nod at his mention, whilst the pale face of Semele Raquoran betrayed neither enthusiasm nor scorn. “Your more clandestine employees”, Doren carried on, “Will erstwhile be tasked with moving Mister Pol’s more- exotic merchandise”. Detecting something of a kindred spirit, the crudely dressed Balosarian allotted the grizzled human a grin and a weak salute.

Clearing his throat, another transient instance of silence came to pass, followed by yet another delegation of responsibilities, “Our confidant from the Banking Clan, throughout these exchanges, will monitor all of your funds and expenditures, and ensure you line of Imperial-endorsed credit remains secure and steady”. The Muun, indifferent to Doren’s speech-driven tendencies, produced a thin smile of his own, and interjected, “A pleasure to be sure Mister Ryder. I’ve yet to apply my talents to so diverse a company, and needless to say, I’m looking forward to it”. Vassyl raised an eyebrow at his inconspicuous treasurer, adding, “Indeed. Lastly, your social immersion-“. “Will be handled by me”, a silvery, piercing voice interrupted.

Governor Greejatus, in a flamboyant move all too befitting, had take leave of his seat, and had begun a casual jaunt over towards Ryder's end of the table. "Fear not my friend", Magno cooed, "I shall guide you through every echelon of High Imperial culture. We'll book you for every art exhibit and gala. The finest parties, the sauciest of theater shows!". In an oddly uncharacteristic move, the Governor of Constancia leveled a hand under his chin, as if to announce he had achieved a deeper stage of thought. "Admittedly, having a Zeltron or two hanging on your arm may get old quickly", Greejatus continued, flashing a toothy grin to rival his guest's, "Thankfully, I know a few holonet stars that owe me a favor". "Thank you for that addition Governor", Doren grumpily spat out, forcefully regaining control of the conversation. Turning his attention back on the emissary of Black Star, Vassyl offered a sympathetic grin, and closed with a question, "I imagine you have a few questions and concerns?".
-------

Corran Vellar

Post by Corran Vellar » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Ryder took a seat at the fine table as he listened to the Governor give off his lengthily excuse for why the security was sloppy. His words coated in thick honey as he went. The CEOs grey eyes turned to Doren as the military man began to explain the gatherings plan. Ryder kept his full attention on the man even as he went on a bodily analogy in a dramatic fashion.

Ryder’s gave each person a analytical glance as Doren mentioned what Black Star would be doing for each and what some would be doing for him. As Doren came to a close and the Governor picked back up the CEO couldn’t help but allow a smirk to cross his face. It seemed that there was some tension in this circle, something Ryder took mental note of.

“Thank you Captain Vassyl, Governor Greejatus,” Ryder started, giving each a courteous nod. His attention turned to the Muun. “My financial department will appreciate your invaluable expertise.” Ryder gave the alien a pleasant smile before addressing the other members of the circle. “I look forward to me and my company working closely with you all. Our alliance will work well with my growing pile of contracts from the Moff Council.”

Ryder took a breath before continuing. “I must ask, what do you all truly have to gain from helping rise me to the echelons of nobility? And what is the end goals for everyone at this table?” Curiosity and caution now took the forefront of Ryder’s mind. He needed to know exactly who these people were and why they combine their unique talents. The questions weren’t aimed at any one individual but to the table as a whole, it was time to figure out who exactly was the brain here and what or who was the heart of the table.

Doren Vassyl

Post by Doren Vassyl » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 pm

"We all have a role to play in the great game Mister Ryder", Shaa Merath answered first, "Sometimes the roles of others compliment our own aims, sometimes they are an obstacle; in the former case, communal growth is possible through cooperation". "Very true", Greejatus affirmed, sending a wary eye the Muun's way, "While the good Captain's intentions for this council are pure and altruistic, I doubt he would have succeeded in forming it without sufficient incentives for its members". "The Governor speaks the truth", Doren weighed in at last, leaning back some in his seat, "I selected my candidates for the committee based not only on how they could best serve the Empire, but also the collective interests of one another".

"What's more", Semele called out, much to everyone's surprise, "Your extra-Imperial dealings puts you in a unique position as far as competitor markets are concerned. Many of us assembled here have had years to cultivate rivalries and the enmity of our fellow businesses. You however, are relatively new to the host of the economic scene here: that has certain advantages". "Especially given your strong ties to the military", Cadmus added, "Government jobs are highly-sought after, and despite other companies that chase after them, nurturing a personal relationship with central authority guarantees your company certain safeguards our other enterprises lack". "Though each member has a strong hand in their field, they are simultaneously restricted by that avenue", the Governor continued, "Your business is elastic, and that elasticity would be of great use in other, higher spheres within the Empire".

"At the end of the day, this is a Loyalist organization Mister Ryder", Doren announced, regaining the yoke of the conversation, "The long-term goal is to facilitate growth and prosperity within the Empire, in accordance with the legitimate regime, and the throne proper. I do not abide by scheming factions, though we may sow our own plots in tandem. This isn't a bid to eclipse the Ruling Council, or any foolhardy scheme to seize political control. That said, to achieve maximum effectiveness, every connection, every- thread that ties us to other persons of prestige will only assist our efforts, and to that end I petitioned to have you brought onboard". Doren sat up some, and looked his newest associate dead in eyes, concluding, "Change is coming one way or another Mister Ryder, and we are to be the architects of that change. I believe to be someone worthy to aid in that change, if you so choose to join us. Opportunity knocks at Black Star's door, I dare say you shouldn't keep it waiting".
-------

Corran Vellar

Post by Corran Vellar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:45 am

A smile slowly rose from Ryder’s lips, he’d gotten all the information he needed for now. “Black Star Systems happily accepts your invitation Mr. Vassyl and I look forward to working closely with all of you in the coming days.”

He could definitely see how useful this little council Doren had put together would be for Ryder’s interests as well as help expand Black Star’s holdings.

“So, shall we drink to our new found alliance?” Ryder continued, his grey eyes dancing between everyone at the table.