Portraits (Sarela)

The main Roleplay area of the Sithlore Universe.
Doren Vassyl

Re: Portraits (Sarela)

Post by Doren Vassyl » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:14 pm

“I’m so glad you like it”, Vassyl commented softly, overcome with a quiet, fleeting rush of pure jubilation, “I’ll be sure the staff keeps it on-hand for you for the duration of your stay here”. Doren smiled a little more broadly upon hearing Sarela’s kindly request for art supplies, and nodded approvingly, “While I don’t think you’re in any place to consider overexerting yourself, I suppose a creative outlet will help the days of bed rest pass a little more quickly”. Without warning, the rim of the Captain’s face redderend some, and in a sheepish, hushed tone, he added, “I regret to inform that my own private supply is neither the most lavish or comprehensive in its stock- but please consider my brushes and synth-acrylics at your disposal”.

Doing his best to salvage a briefly-failed composure, Vassyl tucked away a mental note on the delivery of said materials: including a simple, the painter’s cache should be an easy enough load for Four-Seven-Five. Thankfully, to Doren’s relief, the surprisingly-energized Sephi’s next line of inquiry was a far less taxing affair. “You hardly need to apologize for a curious mind, Miss Malkova”, Vassyl pardoned serenely, before continuing on, “And though I’m by no means the equivalent to a textbook or lecture circuit, I will attempt to outline what I can”. Leaning back in his seat some, Doren subconsciously tugged at the fibrous ends of his beard, and swung a scholarly hand forward, palm facing up, “For starts, you should know that Jaemus is primarily comprised of two supercontinents drifting atop a nigh-endless sea”.

“At present”, Vassyl elaborated, “We are situated on the uppermost end of the Northern Continent. The Great Lakes of Jaemus dot much of the landmass, but Providence, so named for our creation mythos, was thought to be the last touched by divine hands”. With an emphatic thrust, Doren shoot a guiding finger out in the general direction of the door, and concluded, “Were you to hike some alms in that direction, you would eventually reach the coastal cliffs known as Providence Point. And, if you were particularly lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of the polar shelf bobbing in the distant surf”. “But that’s enough geography for now”, Vassyl determined, waving a dismissive hand about, “And I would be remiss if I did not touch on the socio-political climate”.

“At present, Lord Lytus Dulark reigns as Governor of Jaemus”, Vassyl carried on, “And is duly recognized by the Ruling Council as Acting System Moff”. “Aiding the Governor”, Doren grumbled with some content, “Is the Council of Peers, the seats of which are held by various members of the Forty-Four Noble Houses of Jaemus”. “And”, Vassyl presented in a lighter tone, “The Council of Commons, whose occupants represent the average, lay-citizen and their endeavors”. “While the Governor holds ultimate power over legislation and executive decrees”, the Captain extrapolated, “Both circles of the local diet are free to propose bills and other list items, as they had done back in the days of the Old Republic”.
-------
"He's dangerous that one"
"Because he's a fanatic?"
"A fanatic with a conscience"

Sarela Malkova
Registered Member

Post by Sarela Malkova » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:08 am

Sarela listened silently, intrigued by political information graciously given to her by the knowledgeable Captain. From offering to keep the delightful tea on hand, along with permitting her to use his personal keep of painting supplies, Sarela was exceedingly humbled. Unable to help herself, she returned Doren's smile with one of her own, cheeks taking on a faint pink tone, "Thank you, Sir," bringing her own tea up to her lips, she took a drink, and, after a few moments, asked another question, "are most Governors or Monarchs within a system often designated as the acting Moff? Or is Lord Lytus Dulark an exception?" With the inquiry, Sarela took a moment to imagine what the two supercontinents might be like, and how distinctive the two were as well. Separated by such a vast sea, it wasn't hard for Sarela to assume that the two cultures were moderately diverse in their views, though that was only an assumption on her part. She also found the mentioning of The Great Lakes of Jaemus, Providence Point and the general description of the multiple Continents exceedingly mystifying, with little of a doubt that each overflowed with illuminating anecdotes just waiting to be revealed to an off-worlder such as herself. If she had the time, Sarela would love to travel to each destination mentioned and spend the day traversing and sketching the area as she went.

Noting the momentary gruffness in regards to the Governor, Sarela determined that she would hold her attention, at least for the moment, regarding him, and focus on the Council of Peers and Commoners next, and that of the Forty-Four Noble Houses. The number, at least to her, seemed considerable, which gave her hope that the Council was just that, a Council seeking the betterment of its people, and Sarela hoped that, with the aid of the Council of Peers, the people's voices were heard and listened to. She did find that the Governor, himself, holding sole power over legislation and executive decrees, strange, and her brows came together in confusion, finding herself breaking the mindset she'd just set forth on withholding any more questions regarding Lord Lytus Dulark, "But if Lord Dulark holds such authority over what legislation and decrees can be matriculated, wouldn't he be more akin to a Monarch, rather than that of a simple Lord and Governor?" Face changing from pink to that of a light red, Sarela looked away, feeling abruptly self-conscious, “I apologize for my abrasiveness, it’s improper to ask such questions when it has nothing to do with me."

Trying to hide the sudden self-consciousness, Sarela placed the mug containing the tea off to the side, the drink depleted to but a few droplets of violet liquid, and leaned forward, grey hair sliding over her shoulders, and smiled across towards Doren, "On a more proper note, I'd love to know what the outside lake is named, and if it’s one The Great Lakes of Jaemus? Along with some of the creation myths your people have." Her voice was light, and the clouds outside began to break, sunlight once more sifting through the room, illuminating the pair in a vibrant luminosity from the radiant sun, which seemed to peek through the window from outside, as if to lighten and smooth over the many questions Sarela had just asked; ranging from the political standing of Doren's homeworld to that of the outside lakes name, or even inquiring about the creation myths that the Jaemus people held.

Doren Vassyl

Post by Doren Vassyl » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:00 am

Vassyl could not help but glow with pride as his injured guest leapt into a series of thoughtful inquiries. Indeed, Sarela Malkova was the sort of curious, intelligent soul that Doren could easily communicate, and empathize with. “In general, the titles of Moff and Governor mean the same thing on paper”, Vassyl explained calmly, “But there are some exceptions to the nomenclature. In a system where multiple satellites are inhabited and possess their own unique civil structures, they may each have their own distinct Governor”. Gesticulating subconsciously, Doren held out an open palm, fingers spread apart, and added, “However, whole systems- whole sectors are often in need of greater oversight, and those that fulfill that role take the mantle of Moff for logistical reasons, and dispel any confusion on rank”.

“To be sure”, Vassyl concluded, looking up as if to collect his thoughts, “You wouldn’t be in the wrong calling a System Moff, or even a Grand Moff ‘Governor’, so long as you remained wary of how much territory and prestige is owed their office”. Having temporarily ceased his rambling, Vassyl suddenly recalled the Sephi’s concern over the ‘properness’ of her questions, to which the Captain offered another understanding smile, “And please, don’t ever feel like you can’t ask these sorts of things. The worst you will receive in response is ‘I can’t answer that’. Few offworlders bother with our little corner of the Galaxy: I am deeply humbled by the interest you’ve expressed thus far”. With that said, Doren returned his gaze to the ceiling, and began to formulate his next response.

“The Governor’s power is very much like that of a monarch”, Vassyl conceded at first, “But culturally, he would never declare himself anything more than a noble”. A flicker of frown flashed across Doren’s countenance, before adding, “I do not know that Jaemus will ever see another crown ruler- at least, not one by birthright. Despite tradition and centuries of a single unbroken line, a bloody war of succession claimed our every eligible Prince, and the last Retired King”. Vassyl’s grimace warped back into a somber, pained grin, “We Jaeman’s can be a surprisingly stubborn people. Even if an aspiring warlord sought to reforge the throne for themself, it would come at the cost of many lives, and in all likelihood, the fabulous peace we have known since Endor”.

Fabulous? Surely it was better than the days of serfdom and the like. Still, Doren had his woes and concerns for the common citizen, but said nothing on that count at the time. In a sense of mild deja vu, Vassyl pondered Sarela’s resurgent interest in the geography, but elaborated once more anyway, “Forgive me for not being more transparent earlier, Miss Malkova. The lake stretched before you is indeed one of the Great Lakes. From it name we’ve derived similar titles for both the hotel and the northern cliff face. What you see is the natural beauty of Lake Providence: a single rebellious tear dropped down from the roaring sea above”. The Captain did not frequently quote poetry, but in this case, narrative descriptors of the lake were a must. A little dramatic flair to lift the mood, Doren thought.
-------

Sarela Malkova
Registered Member

Post by Sarela Malkova » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:41 pm

Giving a small nod of her head as Doren spoke, Sarela was grateful for his willingness to clarify upon her questions and expand her understanding of Imperial protocol and how positions and titles worked, along with giving accurate information that most wouldn't be able, or unwilling, too. Even if she'd lived within the Galactic Empires portion of the Galaxy for the better part of three, almost four, years, Sarela had often spent that time either aboard starships or within the underbelly of a planet's society, meaning she wasn't as educated on political and governmental matters as she might wish. Her lack of experience and understanding dealing with those who held generally more power than most was null and void, save for the man before her, who felt, at least to Sarela, more akin to a friend than that of an esteemed Captain; the highest positional individuals she dealt with on a diurnal bases were Imperial Customs or the few above them that felt, when she was younger, that the then young woman shouldn't be allowed planetside. Her traders’ licences had often sped along the process, but there were the few from time to time that felt further inquiries were necessary. Still, the intricate weavings between Governors, Moffs, System Moffs and that of a Grand Moff could be hard to follow, and Doren's astute and knowledgeable intelligence and willingness to expand her perception was something the younger woman admired.

With Doren's comment regarding Sarela's overall curiousness, another smile formed and, as he continued, she was shocked to learn that more people didn't often visit Jaemus' surface; with how breathtaking she found the planet, Sarela would have assumed that it would see more off-planet visitation. Continuing onwards with more much-appreciated insight, she found herself speaking without really thinking beforehand, "Maybe, in a day or two, when I can walk better, we could go see Lake Providence more closely?" The smile on her face turned somewhat shy at the elegant phrasing regarding the lake Sarela had begun to very much so revere from sight alone, and she once more spoke with genuine honesty, "The way you describe it is exceedingly beautiful and makes me want to see it up close more-so." At this, Sarela took another strand of hair and began braiding it, only to undo her work, and start over again as she thought on the next subject to ask.

"I can only imagine that those who did rule must have stretched back rather far in regards to the line of succession and pedigree. It's a shame to hear that such a bloody conflict happened over who would rule, taking with it all those with the eligibility to." Continuing her reconstructing and deconstructing of the single strand of hairs poor abusement, Sarela asked, "If you don't mind me asking, how long has it been since such a person actually sat upon the throne of Jaemus? Or better yet, since the war over who would rule happened?" She found it all exceeding interesting, and maybe, if time permitted, she'd be able to read up further on the planet itself. For now, though, Sarela concluded that sketching and memorializing Jaemus while she was on its surface was one of the best things she could do.

Thinking for a few moments on all that Doren had shared with her, a quietness in the conversation formed, and Sarela glanced upwards, the unfortunate hair momentarily forgot. Her line of thought once more went to that of the Imperial MediCorps and Investigation Branch of the Security Bureau, and she solidified within her mind which of the two, at least for the moment, that she would choose. As for the time being, Sarela would simply enjoy what time Doren had to share while on Jaemus and hoped that, if permitted, she might be able to take up a position as one of his crew members. She found it to be a rather selfish line of thought, but something Sarela would surely request nevertheless when the time came to depart, once she was in better health, that is.

Doren Vassyl

Post by Doren Vassyl » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:40 am

Vassyl could not help but chuckle in light of Sarela’s resurgent wanderlust. “Any other being that had been put through the same ringer as yourself would be glad to remain indoors for a turn, I think”, Doren mused in a cheeky tone. Certainly, after Vassyl’s last circuit of combat assignments, the put-upon Captain had been all too eager to crumple onto the nearest bed he could find. Still, Miss Malkova was Doren’s junior by several years, and thought her struggles had been many, she’d yet to taste the acrid atmosphere of war. Yes, her battles had been of a different sort, trying and troublesome in their own regards, and undoubtedly the progenitor of their own unique experiences and conditioning. Even for a martial officer such as the Captain, trials of that nature could not simply be discounted.

“Nonetheless”, Vassyl conceded, “If your body is willing to cooperate, and so long as Ninebee clears you for activity, I would be more than happy to provide a brief tour of the surrounding countryside”. Doren’s kindly complexion faded some thereafter, as he worked to retrieve the proper chronology for Sarela’s second request. “If I had to venture an approximate guess”, Vassy expressing the thought aloud, his mind obviously still whirring about behind the scenes, “I would have to say a little over one thousand years”. The Captain rapped an anxious thumb against his knee as he pondered further, and added, “In the context of Galactic History at large, most scholars tend to align the event in proximity to the Seventh Battle of Ruusan”.

“And, while it is doubtless an outcome to mourn and decry”, Doren continued, rising to his feet, “We shouldn't let it dim our spirits- especially as we will be celebrating your swift recovery in due course”. “But for now”, Vassyl carried on in semi-serious, parental tone, “I won’t have you overexerting yourself- whether you feel better or not”. Taking a step or two closer to the ailing ward’s bedside, the Captain’s face reflected a friendly countenance once more, “I insist that lie back and continue to rest, until such a time that lunch can be prepared and sent up to your room”. “And”, Vassyl reassured with a nod, “If you should require my company or anyone else’s at any time later on, we’re but a call away”. The Captain then presented a slight bow to his guest of honor, and concluded, “Do take care, Miss Malkova”.
-------

Sarela Malkova
Registered Member

Post by Sarela Malkova » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:09 pm

Almost a day had passed since Sarela and Doren had momentarily parted way; she to rest up more in the secluded room, and Doren most likely to get some more much-needed sleep. ASP-475, the lovable droid who'd serviced the Violet Moonbow from the day before, upon Sarela's request, had brought a sketchbook, along with an adornment of drawing pencils, erasers, conté sticks, felt-tipped pens and tortillions. She shivered thinking just how the room that housed the items faired after ASP-475's gathering task. Still, the young woman was pleased with the assortment of drawing utensils stored within the cloth bag at her side, and she was unable to keep from smiling as she made her way slowly down the Hotel Providence's corridors. Dressed in a white, shoulderless, sundress with blue and violet floral embellishes, beige and white wedge sandals that tied around her ankles, and a sheer white shawl, adorned with elegantly laced patterns, which was wrapped around her shoulders, along with having arranged her hair in a low side bun, deciding to keep it somewhat loose; Sarela felt altogether much more energized and at ease, no longer overcome by pain, save for a few pin-pricks when she overexerted herself more than need be.

The clothing that she wore, along with a few others picked out, had been delivered and paid for by Sarela when the morning had just begun, the sun just dipping over the horizon, and transported to her by ASP-475. Though Sarela would have been grateful for any gesture the Captain might have bestowed upon her, she didn’t want him worrying about trivial matters such as what clothing she might need during her stay. Injuries or not, little physical effort was required when ordering from her datapad and having said dresses, shoes, makeup and other assortments brought to the Hotel itself. Even if her credits were short, she felt the need to at least appear presentable while within or exploring around the lovely Hotel, seeing as Ninebee had cleared her for light exercises, such as walking short distances.

The droid, inflexible when Sarela requested to walk to Lake Providence, had informed the young woman that its hard work in mending Sarela's injuries wouldn't be wasted on a leisurely stroll around an unmoving body of water, demanding that Sarela stay indoors. Thankfully, Ninebee had also informed her that within the next day or two, thanks to the bacta tanks healing properties, and the droids immaculate care during Sarela's surgery, that the young woman could visit the lake and surrounding areas soon. Which meant, sometime around midday tomorrow, Sarela would attempt a metaphorical escape, as to see and sketch the lake up close. For now, though, as Sarela exited from one of the many hallways, she entered into what seemed to be a dining area, a few patrons littered about and enjoying a plethora of meals and beverages, serving droids going to and fro as they delivered an assortment of cuisines to different people.

Locating one of the larger windows that offered up a beautiful view of the lake and greenery outside, and was moderately secluded, the closest person, a human male, being well over two tables away, Sarela began making her way towards it. Once seated, Sarela placed the bag containing the drawing utensils on the window sill to her left, and took the sketchbook out, along with an assortment of pencils. A smile surfaced on her lips as she began sketching; first the outside of the Hotel, then the lake, and finally, Sarela started working on a portrait of Doren, taking extra care as to get the details of his face and posture correct. Time seemed to slow, and after what seemed like hours, Sarela placed the sketchbook down and looked outside, the nearly finished portrait facing upwards; the rays from the sun bright and warm where they touched her skin. It was hard to believe how tranquil the scenery before her was, after everything that had happened, and she hoped that the Captain had gotten some much-needed rest after the past few days, knowing that he was no doubt exhausted after everything that had happened.

Doren Vassyl

Post by Doren Vassyl » Tue May 14, 2019 3:56 am

Though his health vastly outpaced Sarela’s own tenuous position, when night finally arrived, it was Doren’s turn to sleep like the dead. Vassyl dozed comfortably throughout the evening, and woke up promptly at his usual, early hour the following day. After whipping together a private breakfast and a kettle’s worth of tea, the Captain scanned through some cursory documents, and ate contentedly in the glow of the morning light. Feeling somewhat whimsical, Doren went so far as to flip through a few holopages of the Jaeman Times, and even attempted the daily crossword before his knowledge of the more ancient dialects failed him. Having thus complete his personal rituals, Doren then exchanged his robe for a plain white button-up, and an accompanying pair of black wool slacks.

This decidedly casual Vassyl sauntered forth from his chambers like a new man, pausing occasionally to greet various staff he met en route to the ground level. From there, a simple inquiry from Dweir at the front desk presented the Captain with all the intel he needed. Tucking a compact datapad into his shirt-pocket, Doren made his way along the long anterior hallway, promptly arriving at the dining hall in no time at all. With a smile, Vassyl picked out Sarela’s petite form from across the way, knee-deep in her latest artwork. Ah, what a refreshing change of pace from the previous days events! Briskly, Doren attempted to walk over at a modest pace, but marching tendencies subtly got the best of him. “Good Morning Miss Malkova”, Vassyl started, “Someone's hard at work here: I trust you’ve been taking breaks?”.
-------