What a piece of Junk (Harby)

The main Roleplay area of the Sithlore Universe.
Varn Badaash
Registered Member

What a piece of Junk (Harby)

Post by Varn Badaash » Tue May 05, 2020 3:48 pm

“We’re contracting out now?!” A young man sat at a console in the hanger bays command tower spat.

“Yes Delo, Black Star and the Empire have doubled our usual production volume and we need more ships to compensate.” A woman in her late thirties replies calmly. Both individuals wore the uniform of Solar Wind industries, a mining and manufacturing corporation that was a subsidiary of Black Star Incorporated.

“Yes but how can we trust these private contractors, hell, look at the junker that just came in,” Delo motioned out the window at a freighter that sat quietly in the bay. “I swear that thing won’t even make it off Endor let alone to the core worlds, that is if they even plan on taking it the whole way.”

“That’s not for you to worry about, anyway Black Star is sending a security officer with every private vessel as well as the cargo’s usual droid security.” She replied, “so you better make sure their loaded and ready to go before those hot heads get here.”

As she said that the doors into the command tower slid open with a hiss and a Toydarian flapped in. The alien wore Black Star combat armor and and held an insignia that marked him as an inspector. “Greetings madam Vilana, I believe you have a ship for me?”

Vilana spun around and was taken aback by the appearance of the Toydarian and his rank. “Um good evening Inspector,” she said regaining her calmer demeanor. “Delo here was just giving the order to begin loading, maintenance just cleared the vessel for duty.”

“This is good to hear Madam Vilana, I’m sorry if I startled you, I’m sure you were expecting, how does you crew say it, one of them ‘hot headed BS grunts’.” The inspector replied, “well as your crew would also say, Black Star Incorporated is having ‘all hands on deck’ during these times.” He floated closer to the view port to get a better look at the ship. “Hmm, you were correct Delo, that does look like a piece of junk.”

The young man’s eyes darted to the Toydarian and then back to his console as his mind began to race. “Yes inspector, as I was telling my supervisor I don’t expect it to last very long.”

“Well, we shall see that is makes it to its destination and if all goes well even further,” the alien let a smile cross its snout covered mouth. He rotated around to face the woman again. “My inspection of your facilities is complete, I shall be going down to the bay to meet this captain, please be sure to have the vessel loaded as soon as possible.” With a slight increase in his wings flapping speed he made his way out.

Delo and Vilana both let out a breath of relief as the inspector left before looking at each other. “Do you think he was listening in on us?” Delo spoke first.

“I don’t know but we shouldn’t dally,” she replied. “Get the bay crew loading that junker.”

Harbinger
Registered Member

Re: What a piece of Junk (Harby)

Post by Harbinger » Tue May 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Johnny knew two things about this kind of work. Lie, and lie again. His licenses? Bought on Nar Shaddaa. The ship? Salvage from Raxus Prime. His name? Taken from a holo-vid he'd seen as a kid. But with the contacts he had throughout the systems, it was all nice and legal, in a very grey sense. The middle aged human wasn't about to kick the hornets nest, not after having worked his ass off these past few years to get back on his feet. But as always, things broke, repairs that started simple became system overhauls, and he needed to eat. His slightly graying red hair stuck out from under the hood of his jacket wildly, and framed his face just enough that it was hard to get a good look at him. Just another scruff bearded transport pilot. The faded green and gunmetal Acklay Systems freighter he was standing beside had seen better years, that much was certain. And even as he spoke he was bantering with a rather unique looking droid.

"No SD, I don't think we should bleed the compressor lines, we're going to be here another day if we bother with that!" he barked at the tall slender droid. To a very select few the droid in question would have been quite recognizable, if they knew their recent imperial history. The repurposed spare SD unit had belonged to a close friend of his, and the backup had been serving him well for some years now.

"Sir. If we leave the vapors in the lines we-" The droid was cut off by the human before him holding up a hand.

"Preflight checks SD, and get them in order. We both know we can't afford the repairs right now, So we'll just have to do this job first. We'll go easy on the old girl and she'll hold" he said with a grin as he saw the large droid visably slump and roll its optics at him.

"As you wish "Sir", Right away" said the droid as it began to gather up the tools they'd been using to fix up a leak in one of the landing struts before carrying them back up inside the cargo hold.

"Black Star... buncha friggin pirates pretending to be a legit company... The enemy of my enemy i suppose. Atleast they can make a cup of coffee worth a damn" he said as he took the mug up off the counter and took a long heavy chug from the mostly cooled cup "Mmmph... That takes me back. Dry. Bland. Bitter as all hell. Imperial Standard. For the worst of times" he said with a chuckle to himself as he saw a Toydarian floating his way in what he could only guess was a rather official looking uniform. Glancing back at the rusted hulk behind him he smirked and walked forwards to meet the flapping creature.

"Hello there friend! Captain Alinar Nox, Just call me Al. Now, What would you like to see first?" he said with a bright charming smile on his grizzled features. Though not a moment after he'd spoke there was a loud bang and a sudden cloud of white steam billowing from inside the ship.

"SIR! Compressor lines! Add that to the list!"
-=================-
Harbinger of Nothing
-=================-

Varn Badaash
Registered Member

Post by Varn Badaash » Wed May 06, 2020 5:24 pm

The Inspector slowly fluttered across the hanger bay towards the vessel. A crew of loading droids were beginning the process of bringing the cargo containers into the ship’s main hold. So far everything seemed to be going smoothly.

The Toydarian approached the captain of the vessel wearing a welcoming expression. “Pleasure to meet you Captain Nox, I’m Inspector Gascu Zig, I’ll be joining you on this shipment.” His expression went a little more dower as a plume of smoke escaped the vessel. “I guess I’d like to see the compressor lines first.”

His large eyes slowly looked up at the durasteel glass of the command tower where he could barely make out the shape of Delo and his supervisor. Shaking his head he turned to the maintenance crew who were currently pulling the fuel line away from the ship. “Can the good Captain here get an extra pair of hands!” He ordered the Solar Wind mechanics. “There are people who desperately need these supplies!”

Several of the personnel stopped what they were doing and dashed into the vessel. “I’m sure you wish to oversee the repairs Captain,” Zig spoke as he returned his attention to the Captain. “Please lead the way.” His three fingered hand motioning towards the ramps.

Harbinger
Registered Member

Post by Harbinger » Tue May 12, 2020 3:34 am

Johnny had met many more aliens in his time away from the empire than he had in his forty two years of life in the vast galaxy, but it was always Toydarian's that piqued his interest the most. Surely there were more exotic and interesting species, but he was always curious how such portly creatures could flap about on their little wings.

"Well thats a welcome change of pace Inspector Zig, it'll be nice to have company on one of these tr-" Being cut off by the explosion of steam and the sounds of his droid counterpart calling out to him took his attention towards his ship, and he made no effort to curse under his breath. "Ok fine! You were right!" he yelled back at his silver companion. Turning back to the Inspector he gave a sheepish smile and nodded "Yes... Lets go see what thats all about"

He trudged, dragging his heels as he muttered and grumbled "Thank you Inspector... It'll be a summers day on Hoth before I part with the Forerunner. She's a good ship. Not a reliable ship. But she's fast. Finest hulk ever flown off of Raxus you'll find" he said with a hint of pride returning to his voice as they passed the loading droids who were busy setting things to rights as the mechanics came towards him and the cargo bay.

It wasn't much of a cargo bay truth be told, but it was tall and deep, if not very wide. The ships midsection was largely hollow and built sturdy, though it did mean taking a catwalk between the ships main section and the engine bays. SD was busy wrangling a hose that was slithering about with high pressure air billowing from it, the clanking against his frame deafening until he'd grabbed it and shut off the compressor.

"Nothing to worry about Captain Nox, Just the compressor for the landing struts. Should be no more than a coupling or two" he said, his torso steaming and scratched form his battle with the hose. This gave Johnny some hope, it wasn't a big issue, but it wasn't a good impression on the Inspector to be sure. The entire ship seemed to be on the verge of collapse. Rust, wear and tear, and no two parts were the same make or model. The entire thing seemed to be held together with scrap and repairs, jury rigs holding together other jury rigs.

"Alright lads" he said turning to the mechanics "Its not a big job, But i'm going to need a set of couplings for a twelve thousand psi landing strut... actually make that four sets. May aswell do them all at once. Just bring them here, we can do the repairs in transit. Its just landing gear and thankfully, its already down" he said with a smirk, trying to make light of the situation.

Turning to the inspector he smiled weakly and made a gesture towards a ladder that lead up out of the cargo hold towards the catwalk and the ships interior "Shall we Zig? Depending on travel times, you'll be aboard for a few days. Thankfully, we've several cabins going unused at the moment" he said as he gave SD a look that set the droid to dismantling the compressor lines and keeping his face turned away from the crews. It had been a while since they'd been this close to imperial space, and the last thing he wanted was someone recognizing an SD series droid for what it was.
-=================-
Harbinger of Nothing
-=================-

Varn Badaash
Registered Member

Post by Varn Badaash » Thu May 14, 2020 11:37 pm

The Inspector watched the battle between droid and ship as they entered into the hold. It would have made him laugh if he wasn’t able to see the condition of the rest of the ship. With just this small glimpse he began to regret this post. “I hope your high opinion of your vessel turns out to be true Captain.”

The Toydarian turned to the mechanics as the droid won its battle. “Get the captain what he needs,” he ordered the mechanics. “And perhaps a some extra spare parts for the engine room.” Zig was losing confidence in this vessel and the last thing he wanted was to get caught in some sort of hyperdrive malfunction.

As the crew went off to retrieve the parts and the droid began its repairs, the inspector returned his attention to Captain Nox. “Yes, lead the way, after which I’d like to see the cockpit and engine compartment.”

———-

The tour was over and Gascu Zig sat in the spare bunk aboard the Forerunner. He had gotten the four SEP security droids situated in the hold and was now putting his initial thoughts onto his datapad.

••While the vessel is clearly on the brink of collapse, this Captain Nox has shown great faith in his prized vessel. I trust the Captain will be able to get the cargo to its destination as long as we don’t run into any hostile encounters. I will add that the Captain has a very unique droid, quite capable, will be sure to inquire into its make. As of right now I’m not putting my chips on this vessel for future contracts.••

The Toydarian lowered the pad and let out a sigh. He felt the ship rock as it began to lift off the hanger floor. Zig’s wings began to flutter as he himself lifted off the bed and made his way across the vessel to the cockpit.

“Captain,” the Inspectors voice rang through the cockpit as he floated in. “I hope you weren’t planning on breaking atmosphere with out me here to spectate.” Honestly the atmospheric exit and entrance was one of the few bits of actual piloting he expected to observe since he didn’t consider the routine shifts between hyperlanes to be all that showing.

Harbinger
Registered Member

Post by Harbinger » Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 am

Johnny lead the tour throughout the ship, and it was a short one. Up front was a cramped cockpit with not much more room for a pilot and a passenger. The entire console seemed to be a mishmash of wiring and spare parts. All of it being used to bring the various out of the way stations closer to the pilot, which ended up surrounding him with keypads and screens. The typical captains seat had long ago been replaced with a large cushioned chair you'd be more likely to find in someones home rather than at the helm of such a vessel.

The bunks were by far and above the most intact and cleanest of the ships amenities, owing likely to their infrequent use and being closed off behind doors rarely opened. Across from them was the captains quarters, but judging by the ships layout, there wasn't much more going on there than a simple dormitory styled room. A small mess hall and gathering area rested behind the sleeping arrangements aswell. The signature feature of the entire kitchen seemed to be a battered and worn coffee maker of some antique design, a simple peculator of imperial make.

The engine bays were hot, cramped, and more than a little humid. Captain "Nox" had informed his passenger that this was where SD spent most of his time, being that he couldn't in good conscience pay someone to endure the heat of the place for very long. Otherwise there was nothing much to the small freighter, It did in fact seem to just be a flying shipping container. Johnny would never admit it, but his pride and joy had been designed from planetary use, and had been ill suited to inter-planetary travel until he'd made his "Upgrades"

--- --- --- -- -

"No SD... I'm not going to flush the inspector out and air lock... I don't care if he looked at you funny! Everyone looks at you funny! Have you looked at you lately?" Johnny barked into a datapad rigged up on his console that acted as a comms between himself and the droid in the engine room. He was busy making pre flight checks, mostly for the fact that he didn't want the inspector to see how he got the hulk up and running. Several things were missing from the console, the hulk having been scavenged before he got his hands on it, and the repairs were quite suspect. But they worked!

Hearing a voice behind him, Johnny turned and cursed under his breath as the hulk of a ship was about to lift off from the landing pad and take flight "Not at all Inspector! I figured someone of your experience would find departures to be mundane. Besides, with twenty five years of experience under my belt I think I can get us from here to the core worlds in record time!" he said with a grin. Flipping the last switches he turned towards his navigation computer... and saw a black screen. Slapping it did nothing. Turning it on and off, doubly so. "Well... Looks like i'm doing this the old fashioned way"

Taking a hold of the controls, he set the ship to rising up off the pad and crept out of the hangar slowly, looking around his view ports as the sky opened up before him, the spaceport was buzzing with ships large and small, but Johnny saw his chance. A bulk freighter had just left its hangar across from them, and that meant clearances and smooth skies ahead "Brace yourself Zig!" he said with a grin on his face as he gave the engines full power and the great hulk raced across the spaceport to get in behind the bulk freighter. Smaller craft whizzed past them like they weren't moving as Johnny pushed the old hulk to catch up, warning and proximity lights flashing, a few warning buzzers blaring at him "I thought I unhooked those!" he grumbled as he pulled and pushed at the flight controls, causing the small freighter to weave, dive and climb, around vessels that were in their path. Atleast once a screeching sound could be heard as the landing gear, still in the open position, scraped across a landing pad that Johnny used as a shortcut to get under a corvette that was coming in to land.

Within moments, he'd crossed the star port and lined himself up a kilometer or so away from the much larger freighter and smirked as he looked back towards the Toydarian behind him "And there we are, Smooth sailing from here on out" he said with a chuckle as he reached for a coffee cup beside him, taking a long deep drink of the roiling hot drink as he flipped on the auto-pilot.
-=================-
Harbinger of Nothing
-=================-