A Wayward Welcoming

The legendary Ryustlore- the secret base of the Nefarious Blue Star Pirates.
Does it truly exist?
Rane DeCola
Registered Member

A Wayward Welcoming

Post by Rane DeCola » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:52 am

Stepping through the front door of The Tavern, Rane is met by the smell of a wood burning fire, hot food and of course alcohol. It hadn’t taken him long to find the establishment as it was only a stone’s throw from the docking bay where he had been instructed to secure his vessel. The only difficulty he had so far was bringing the small starfigher in for a landing in the near white out blizzard conditions that were common place on this part of the planet. While The Tavern was ‘busy’, it was unlike other establishments on Vandor, as this particular taproom was more of a local hangout and didn’t see too many visitors. Being a new and unfamiliar face immediately calls attention to Rane, whose entrance doesn’t go unnoticed by a rough looking group taking up a couple of large tables in the rear of the main room.

Looking up from his drink, a Bothan leaves his table and makes his way across the room toward Rane, who brushes snow from the top of his head and leather flight jacket.

“Weather not to your liking?”

“Fine by me,” Rane said smugly. “Better than a day under two hot Tatooine suns.”

“Well said.” The Bothan raised his hand and gave a signal to the group in the rear of the room. Rane had passed the first test and delivered the correct pass phrase to the challenge the Bothan presented.

“You armed?”

“I was told not to be.”

The Bothan proceeds to frisk Rane thoroughly and finds no weapons. “Good, you listen and follow directions. That’ll take you farther than most in our line of work. Continue to follow directions and you’ll have no problems. Come on now, I’ll introduce you to the rest of the team, and we’ll get you some of that stew that I’m sure you smelled on your way in. You’re probably tired of space rations by now. Take your coat off, get comfortable, we’re going to be here a while.” The Bothan waves to a young female waiter, “Leandra, bring a bowl of stew and an ale for the new guy here, he’ll be eating with the rest of us evening.”

The ‘new guy’. It had been a while since Rane had been called that. He is anxious to prove himself, but he wasn’t opposed to the hot meal that he was being offered. He is shown a seat by the end of the table near the Bothan’s. Rane can see that hot food and drinks have been served all around. As Rane takes his coat off, hanging it on the back of his chair and sits, the Bothan turns and addresses the tables.

“Gentlemen, it seems leadership has seen fit to send us a replacement for our lost comrade. Now, I’d like for all of you to join me in welcoming Rane DeCola, the newest member of our team. After we eat, Rane here will be providing us some much needed entertainment for the evening, won’t you now? With our entertainment arrangements taken care of, let’s eat!”
--------------------

Rane DeCola
Registered Member

Re: A Wayward Welcoming

Post by Rane DeCola » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:39 am

As dinner was coming to end, Rane hadn’t eaten much and had drank even less in contemplation of what was to come. Finally, as the now rowdy group finished, the Bothan once again stood.

“Mr. DeCola, allow me to introduce myself. I’m Treda S’ebda, White Blade and first mate aboard the Wayward. As is tradition for new members of the Wayward, you shall provide entertainment for the group this evening.”

Rane readied himself mentally. He once again looked around the room, trying his best to conceal his own nervous anticipation and observe anything that might reveal what was to come.

“First things first Mr. DeCola. DOWN THAT DRINK!!!”

Without needing further clarification of the Bothan’s obvious command, Rane picks up his glass from the table and takes a long swill of the smooth amber liquid.

“I SAID DRINK MR. DECOLA. CHUG IT DOWN AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!!!” Treda yelled. Rane once again did as he was told and as the Bothan got louder, so did the bantering and cheering of the raucous gathering. Rane put away the drink and slammed the glass down on the table.

“Another drink for the new guy!!!” another member of the crew called to Leandra, the pleasing and rather attractive human female who had been working tirelessly to quench the crew’s thirst since Rane had arrived. She heads to the bar, where the bartender has another round of drinks waiting to be served ready for the young woman and returns, handing another drink to Rane. As soon as he had the drink in hand, the command once again came from the Bothan for Rane to drink up and he once again did so.

Several more rounds of drinks were served to both Rane and the crew. By the fifth drink or so, Rane was definitely beginning to feel the effects of the alcohol. As he once again pounded another glass down onto the table, he turned to the Bothan and waved him off before the Bothan could motion for him to drink more.

“Had enough recruit? Well then, now it’s time for your introduction to the crew.”
--------------------

Rane DeCola
Registered Member

Post by Rane DeCola » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Food and drink continues to flow from the kitchen of the The Tavern as Rane’s introduction to the crew ensues. Rane tries to remember the names of everyone as they introduce themselves, but he realizes that the several drinks he’s already consumed is inhibiting his ability to do so. The noise in the room continues to grow until once again Treda calls for order to be had. Raising a glass, he silences the room.

“Gentlemen, I’m glad that you have all taken this ample opportunity to welcome our new crew mate Rane. However, it’s now time that Rane prove himself to the group.” Turning toward the bar that runs along the length of one side of the The Tavern, Treda motions for the barkeep and his help to bring one last round of drinks to the table and then take their leave of the gathering. With their departure, two members of the crew get up from the table and quickly taking handheld scanning units, scan the room for listening or recording devices. Preparations are now complete and Treda continues.

“Rane, as I’m sure you are aware, it is customary that prior to joining the crew that you swear allegiance to the Blue Star Pirates and join one of the four clans.”

Rane is aware of these requirements, and he had narrowed his choice of which of the four clans he wished to join.

“Aye sir. I’ve made my choice.”

From a dark corner of the room, a lower, raspy voice speaks up.

“Good to hear Mr. DeCola.”

Rane slowly turns to steal a glance at the newcomer to the conversation, although Rane realizes that the person sitting in the darkness had likely been there all along.

“Captain, glad you approve of our initiates intentions. With your permission, I would like to proceed with the initiation ceremonies.”

“Treda, as along as our candidate here is ready, you may proceed.”

Rane knods his head and in doing so, the initiation begins…
--------------------

Rane DeCola
Registered Member

Post by Rane DeCola » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Rane emerges from the The Tavern along with several other members of the crew of The Wayward.

“What a hell of a night.”

One of the crew slaps Rane on the back, “yeah, the crew hasn’t seen an initiation like that in a long time, and by the way, welcome aboard. If you don’t already remember, my name is Jek.” The human male was almost a head taller than Rane and had been an integral part of Rane’s initiation into the White Blades. “You’ll make a good a White Blade if you can handle yourself like you did last night.”

Rane chuckles a bit. “You had an unfair advantage last night, wait until you see me in action when I haven’t drank as much as a Wookie wandering through a desert.”

Jek smiles back slyly and the two continue their conversation as they make their way to the transport that will take them up to The Wayward. Despite the fact that he survives the initiation pretty much unscathed, Rane still has a few questions about a couple of details from the evening before.

“So, what’s the deal with the captain?”

“Not sure what you mean. The captain is the quiet type. Doesn't say much and doesn’t mind the crew letting off some steam, but prefers to keep to himself when we are planet-side. He's squared away otherwise.”

“I didn’t mean anything by it I guess. Just seemed a bit unusual, but to each his own.”

Not asking anything further, Rane, Jek and other crew members arrive at a small landing pad where a shuttle awaits to take them up to The Wayward.

----

As the shuttle approached Rane looked out the viewport toward The Wayward. There wasn’t anything out of the ordinary or particularly special about CR-90 corvette that Rane could discern. He was sure of course that a few special modifications had been completed to make the sturdy Corellian built vessel a worthy pirate ship.

Once the shuttle docked and Rane made his way aboard, Jek shows him to his bunk.

“You’ll be bunking with me and the rest of our team. They’ll be along later. Besides, Treda said he needs to see you about a few things.”

“Any idea about what he wants?”

“Not sure. He didn’t say.”

Rane could only guess at what the Bothan first mate might want with him at this point, but he stowed his gear and makes his way to the bridge to find out.
--------------------

Rane DeCola
Registered Member

Post by Rane DeCola » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:34 pm

The bridge of The Wayward is abuzz with activity in preparation for the ship’s departure on its next mission. The Life Day Celebration had provided a much needed break for crew of the ship and also allowed for The Wayward to refuel, take on provisions, and pick up their newest crew member.

Rane is familiar with the general layout of the corvette. It wasn’t too different than those he had been aboard during his tenure with the Alliance. After stowing his gear, Rane makes his way up a level and forward toward the bridge. Arriving at the bridge, Rane finds the Captain, Treda and several other members of the bridge crew also busying themselves with the details of the The Wayward’s departure arrangements. Stepping onto the bridge, Rane announces himself.

“Rane DeCola, reporting as ordered.”

“Rane, good to see you. How you feeling today? You put on quite a show last evening.”

“Right as rain,” Rane responds. He knew that the response made him sound a bit sheepish after he spoke. Some of Marbles charming personality must have rubbed off on him considering how much time he had spent with him aboard the Vo’tre over the past few weeks.

“See that Captain, entertaining and witty.”

“Glad to see that he that he has a sense of humor,” the Captain comments. “However, not everything is fun and games Mr. DeCola. I hope you realize that.”

“I’m good to go Captain, and ready to get down to business.”

“Also good to hear,” Treda comments. “You see Rane, the reason we’ve asked you to join us here this morning is that despite your very recent joining of the crew, we have need to send a small contingent of the Marauders to participate in an SCC training exercise. You will be part of that contingent.”

Rane was aware of the existence of the White Blades Special Combat Corp, but didn’t think that his new appointment to The Wayward exactly qualified him for what he assumed would be an advanced training course. There were more than likely others who have earned the right to participate in that type of training and Rane wasn’t looking to get off on the wrong foot with any of the more senior members of the crew.

“Are you sure I’m the right person for this exercise sir?”

“Are you questioning his judgement?” the Captain asked in a low voice.

Rane looked back at the Captain. He was now able to see the older human male in the light. His skin was deeply tanned and leathery. He voice persisted to be low and raspy. Rane could see that time had not always treated the older man so well. He obviously had at one time lived a tough existence evident by the scars on his hands and the sides of his face. He didn’t appear to be a man to be questioned and judging by his comment, Rane knew that he had already likely cleared the decision of his first mate.

“No sir,” Rane answered sharply.

“You come highly recommended to us here on The Wayward, Mr. DeCola. I’m sure you won’t let us down.”

“Then everything is set. I’m sure you’ve just gotten yourself settled, but you’ll need to have your gear prepped and stowed. You and the rest of the team will be leaving us on a shuttle that’s due to arrive this afternoon.”

“Aye sir. I’ll be ready.”

“You’re dismissed Rane.”
--------------------