Swamps Reclamation (Adar)

The wintry home of the Jedi Enclave. Cut off from the galaxy at large, Permafrost's location ensures that the Jedi plans for the restoration of galactic peace and order are put on ice.
Varn Badaash
Registered Member

Swamps Reclamation (Adar)

Post by Varn Badaash » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:07 pm

Dagobah, low orbit, Hammerhead Cruiser Organa.

A golden painted Hammerhead cruiser with the family crest of the Organa’s etched into its hull floated silently over the swamp filled ecosystem of Dagobah. This vessel was a small respect to a family that had sacrificed literally everything to help both the Jedi and the Alliance survive the Empire. Today it’s mission was to start bringing the Antarian Rangers back into the galaxy at large. They were here to build the first Ranger outpost in years, a new place for Explores to be trained and a place of respite for Rangers watching over this sector of the galaxy. The Jedi also wanted to secure a place that they could use for trials and show their respects to one of the greatest Jedi masters to ever lead the Order.

A shuttle came to a stop in one of the small hanger bays aboard the Organa, and as its boarding ramp hit the durasteel floor a large Dashade strode down into the hanger. He wore the traditional armor of the Antarian Rangers with a insignia that marked him as a Ranger Captain, a rank he wasn’t quite yet comfortable in. He was met at about half way between the shuttle and the doors by an older human male wearing a uniform that identified him as the ships Captain. His blue eyes looked upon the Ranger with deep respect.

“Ranger Captain Badaash,” The ship Captain spoke, his voice carrying an Alderaanian accent. “I’m Captain Aidrost Caddethel, it is a honor to have you aboard.” The human extended a hand that was quickly engulfed by the large clawed hand of the Dashade.

“The honor is mine Captain Caddethel,” the gravely voice of the Dashade replied as his coal like eyes looked over the human. “I didn’t think I warranted the Captain of this vessel greeting me personally.”

The officer allowed a smirk to cross his lips. “Normally it wouldn’t but my nephew was at the battle of Rhen Var and spoke highly of you, I figured I’d take this opportunity to meet you personally and say thank you for holding the line out there.”

Varn was surprised to hear that his actions had been spread, normally it was the Jedi who got all the glory from those engagements against the Sith, tho perhaps this had only spread between members of the Antarian Rangers. Either way the Dashade wasn’t used to receiving such recognition and was put off guard by the friendly Captain. “Well I was only doing my duty,” the Ranger finally responded. “Which is what has brought me here today.” Varn was ready to get out of what was becoming an awkward moment for him and wanted to push on to the mission at hand.

The Captain, noticing some of Varn’s unease about receiving praise quickly nodded. “Of course Ranger Captain, follow me, Ranger General Alim was about to begin the briefing, all the other members of this operation have already arrived.” With that the human turned on his heels and lead the Dashade into the corridors of the Organa towards the conference room where the Rangers and Jedi who were here would be briefed on the operation.

Adar Bolner
Registered Member

Re: Swamps Reclamation (Adar)

Post by Adar Bolner » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:11 pm

Dagobah, inside Hammerhead Cruiser Organa.

Ranger Kilt Vindon and Jedi Padawan arrived into the Cruiser a bit earlier than the meeting time, yet there were a lot of members of the Antarian Rangers, including General Alim. She was the one to greet them when they entered the conference room, and was glad that Adar decided to join them for this operation. "Both my Master and the Jedi Council thought it would be good for my training." He paused and let out a sigh. "Though of all the places, did it have to be the swamplands?". Kilt was quick to respond "Well these swamps are on the planet Dagobah, which has significant importance not only to the Alliance's history, but to that of the Jedi." Adar got a bit defensive. "Yes, I am aware of that, but I like to stay clean in my life." Kilt laughed. "Ah don't be such a baby Adar! If you can't handle a little dirt water, how will you fare against blasters and Sith?" Adar said nothing, though he knew he was right. Still, he wished they had picked the green plains planet instead of this.

While they waited for everyone to arrive, Padawan and Ranger looked out of one of the windows, gazing at the planet below. It really wasn't flashy to the eye, yet Jedi Grandmaster Yoda chose this for his exile. Adar thought maybe the quiet of this place could help him deepen his connection to the Force, or maybe he would discover something there. He felt a bit uneasy about this, but he chalked it up to him not wanting to get dirty. Kilt struck up a bit of a convo with the young Jedi, as he wanted to inquire on something.

"So, how come you didn't bring your pet with you?"
"It's not a pet."
"Sure thing. How come it isn't here with ya?"
"Ghost didn't want to get water in his circuits, and I didn't want him to get hurt."
Adar's floating companion droid, named Ghost, was a gift from ranger Srid, and the being Adar trusted the most. He considered Ghost a companion, and they were often seen together. It was a relationship akin to Luke Skywalker and R2D2's relationship, though Ghost is far more talkative that R2 was.
"Hurt? This aint a combat mission. We will clear the swamps and secure the area."
"I don't know. I got a bad feeling about this."
"Bad or not, we are about to begin briefing. Captain Badaash is here."

Adar quickly turned to see Varn approach. He looked just as uncomfortable as he did when he was promoted to captain. Though their relationship had started rough over the kidnapping of Padawan Evelyn Swann, by now Adar considered him a friend and a person to look up to. He quickly greeted him, and then went to his seat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future, the past. Old friends long gone.

-- Jedi GrandMaster Yoda

Varn Badaash
Registered Member

Post by Varn Badaash » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:34 pm

The doors to the conference room slid open with a hiss as Varn followed the ships Captain in. Immediately his dark eyes scanned the room, taking note of several other Rangers, the general and then spotting Adar. Even to this day the sight of the human brought a tinge of guilt about the kidnapping of Padawan Swann. Pushing past the emotional conflict he gave the Padawan the closest thing to a smile a Dashade could mimic.

“Greetings Padawan Bolner, Ranger Vindon,” Varn’s gravely voice greeted. “I was unaware you were to be part of this mission.”

Before much else could be said Ranger General Alim stepped forward, Ranger Srid standing at her left flank. “Good afternoon Rangers, Jedi,” she spoke with confidence, tho much like Varn she was still not used to the recent promotion. “Now that you’re all here,” she gave Varn a wry smile. “We can get started.”

The table’s holo-projector hummed to life and emitted a 3D image of the planet Dagobah. The image began to slowly spin and after a brief moment a red dot appeared on the northern hemisphere. “The Antarian Rangers are here to set up a outpost, for training and future operations in the surrounds sectors. The Galactic Alliance was kind enough to give us the coordinates of their old hidden base from the days of the Rebellion.” She pointed at the glowing red dot. “This will hopefully take a few steps out of our construction efforts.” She paused for a moment, it was clear their was something amiss for them to have gathered so many Rangers for such an operation. “Unfortunately there is a small hiccup in our plan, a thick fog currently covers the entire region and knowing that the old landing zone has probably been overgrown we haven’t been able to land a shuttle yet. The Organa has sat in orbit here for a week now and nothing has changed and Captain Caddethel isn’t willing to risk a shuttle and it’s crew to try and find a landing zone in that weather.” She once again looked around the room at those gathered. “So we have gathered you all here because we’ve come up with plan, Ranger Srid, would you like to share your crazy solution.” General Alim stepped to the side and the green skinned Twi’lek stepped forward.

“Thank you Cap... General Alim,” the Twi’lek began. “As the General said the area in question is blanketed in far to thick of a fog layer for us to reasonably navigate without landing buoys to lead our shuttles through.” His hand reached down to the tables control panel and danced across it for a moment before four green dots appear near the red one. “So our plan to navigate around this issue is to split up into four team, each lead by a Ranger Captain and with Jedi support, we have programed four escape pods to land at these designated coordinates,” at the mention of being launched out escape pods several of the men and woman in the room glanced at each other a bit nervously. “And hike in on foot, find the old base, clear it of any potentially hostile wildlife that’s taken residence there and clear the LZ for our shuttles to come in.”

“Excuse me did you say, we are going to take escape pods?!” A female Weequay Ranger spoke up.

“Yes, it’s the only reliable way we currently have to get everyone planet side without landing you two weeks travel away from the destination, instead we will land within about two to three miles out” Srid replied, a smile curling his lips. He liked his own plan even if it was dangerous and a bit off the wall. “You will all be given emergency evacuation coordinates in the case things aren’t so simple down there, of course those coordinates are a good two weeks travel away from the drop zones.”

“Thank you Ranger Srid,” General Alim spoke up as Srid finished. She put four data chips down and pushed one to each Ranger Captain present. “You have your assignment, pods will launch in one galactic standard hour. Make your preparations and prepare to drop.”

The squads were divided up in teams of four with Ranger Captain Badaash leading Charlie team consisting of himself, Padawan Bolner and Rangers Srid and Vindon.

As the briefing was wrapping up she looked around. “Any further questions?”

Adar Bolner
Registered Member

Post by Adar Bolner » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:32 pm

Ranger Vindon was quietly listening to Captain Alim and to Ranger Srid talk about the situation and the plan they would execute. When the Captain asked for questions, Kilt could only say "Heh, this is crazy enough to work. Better than waiting a month here or walking for two weeks". As no one else spoke, the briefing was over, and everyone started going off to prepare. As Adar got up, he said the words that now meant more to him that simply wishing others good luck. "May the Force be with you all."

Kilt and Adar went to get their weapons ready. Adar got his vibrosword, and hoisted it on his person as he would a lightsaber, which some found weird. None complained though, for all rangers respected the Jedi, no matter if Padawan or Master. Adar also got his blaster in his cloak, though it would not be as effective at clearing the growths. Still, he never walked anywhere outside the Temples unarmed. Kilt on the hand used as a main weapon a sniper rifle, as well as a blaster for close combat. Though he always tries to not get too close to the enemy. There was an obvious difference in armor as well. Adar sported his by now signature "Ace" cloak, as well as some light armor underneath. Kilt on the other hand wore the standard Ranger armor, which to Adar seemed like quite heavy protection. Once ready, the headed to meet up with Captain Varn and Ranger Srid. On their way, Kilt talked to Adar about something that bothered him. "You seem to have taken the whole escape pod plan quite well. You do know there will be major turbulences, right? Oh and the landing wont be pretty." Adar did not change demeanor, but he could not help but smile a bit. "Yes, it all sounds scary. But I have complete faith in the Force to see us through safe onto the planet's surface." Kilt laughed. "You Jedi and your connection to the Force is something marvelous." "It is a connection we all share. Now, let's not waste time. The Captain won't like it if we're getting late."

As the met up with the others in their team, Kilt aproached Srid for some discussion of measures to take once they hit ground, and Adar went to speak with Varn. "I must say Varn, despite our turbulent past, the Force seems to constantly push us together. Note that my presense here is part of my training, and I was more than happy to assist the Rangers with building a new base and training hub. And more people who want to make the galaxy a better place is always good." He paused briefly. "I was also informed by the Jedi Council that there are a few Jedi training grounds there. Once we secure the base, I think I might check them out."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future, the past. Old friends long gone.

-- Jedi GrandMaster Yoda

Varn Badaash
Registered Member

Post by Varn Badaash » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:14 pm

Varn and Srid stepped out of the conference room and made their way to the armory. “Just want you to know Varn, that it may be my plan but once we hit the ground I will be following your lead, this is your team,” Srid spoke, putting a hand on the taller alien’s shoulder.

“I do not fear you stepping out of line, Srid,” Varn replied. “I will appreciate any advice you have to give while we are down there.” The Dashade still didn’t know exactly what it meant to be a leader within the Rangers, and this was his first operation where he’d be the only one for people to look to for direction. “Let’s get our gear and get tot the pods, the sooner the adrenaline’s pumping the better.”

Srid merely chuckled at Varn’s response as they both walked down the hall. They quickly gathered the gear necessary for the mission, Varn replacing his powered mace with a vibro-axe and his armor was quickly modified for the swampy terrain. That was one of the many bonuses fo Ranger armor, it could easily be adapted to any kind of terrain. With the axe he still carried his rifle and blaster as well as his stun gauntlet with the built in vibro-shield. Soon the two were on their way to the escape pods.

Several of the other teams were already there double checking their gear and making sure the pods were stocked with the essentials needed once on the ground. Each pod carried the necessary gears to set up camp, several weeks worth of rations and a landing buoy. Srid went about doing the pod check while Varn waited and allowed himself a moment to think and breath. After several minutes his quiet moment was interrupted as Ranger Vindon and Padawan Bolner entered into the chamber.

Varn’s coal like eyes met Adars as the young man approached and began to speak. “Padawan Bolner I would like to apologize if I have ever come across as... rough around you.” His gravely voice replied. “I am... satisfied in your decision to become a Jedi and help make this galaxy a safer place.” Varn glanced into the pod before returning his gaze to the Padawan. “Your aid in this operation is appreciated and you will be free to explore as soon as the priority operation is accomplished.”

General Alim stepped into the chamber. “Teams, times up, everyone into your pods!” Everyone turned, gave a nod and jumped into their designated escape pods. Generally each pod would be able to hold six to eight individuals however due to the landing buoy and supplies the pods would only hold four comfortably. Charlie team however was a bit more cramped by the mountain of a Dashade who took a seat next to the landing buoy as he’d be the one lugging it around once they made landfall. They strapped in and a countdown appeared on their forward display. The door sealed with a hiss and they felt the reverberations as the first pod launched, a moment later the second pod launched. Varn looked at the display as it ticked down.

The sudden acceleration pulled everyone back into their seats and out the front view port the swamp world of Dagobah began to grow. Operation Reclamation was a go.

Adar Bolner
Registered Member

Post by Adar Bolner » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:41 pm

Adar smiled when he head Varn's words. "Let's have a proper talk over tea sometime later. For now focus on leading our team, Captain." He made a military salute that probably came across as a crude imitation of a salute to someone so experienced in the Antarian Rangers. Both Adar and Kilt entered the pod and familiarized themselves with the equipment. A camp, food supplies, compass. And the landing buoy, that took up a sizable portion of the pod. As they exited the pod, the general gave the singal to begin the operation. "Ah bummer. Hoped I would have a bit of chill time.". Varn seemed to share Vindon's sentiment, though it was as hard as ever to understand the Dashade's expressions. They followed Varn and Srid into the pod, with Adar sitting next to Varn and Kilt ahead of Adar. Adar found the seats surprising confortable, though they were a bit cramped in. He hoped they would descent fast. He would soon regret thinking that.

The countdown appeared and Adar took a deep breath. Kilt seemed to already brace for impact.

The calm before the storm. An unnerving quiet before... 0

A sudden rush of adrenaline hit Adar. For the first minute he thought he was going to through up. Kilt was holding fairly well. He had done this a few times in his training, and was keeping his eyes on Adar. Poor lad didn't look so good, but after a while he seemed to adjust. He gave a look of assurance to Kilt, but he was going to keep his eyes on the Padawan. After all, he was sworn to ensure no harm would come to him.
Both of them of course would follow orders from Captain Varn. If they were to make it to the base in a timely and safe manner they would need to coordinate. The view outside the window was marvelous. There was just something magical in viewing a planet slowly get bigger in the field of view. Adar understood that at some point they must have entered the atmosphere, as the turbulence picked up quite a lot. He thought the worst was over, but the landing impact shook him to the very core. "I'ma... I'm going to need a moment. Things are spinning quite fast." Kilt was quick to comfort and restore the young Padawan. "Close your eyes and take deep breaths. Captain, permission to join you with the Padawan in 60 secs?"

-- Jedi GrandMaster Yoda

Varn Badaash
Registered Member

Post by Varn Badaash » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:00 am

The pod rocked heavily as it burned through the atmosphere, the devices stabilizers doing their best to cushion the occupants. Varn couldn’t remember the last time he needed to use an escape pod but he sure remembered the feeling. The viewport went grey as they shot into the fog layer and next came cracking sound of branches and then the reverse thrusters flaring to life. The swamps canopy did little to slow their decent as branch and tree shattered against the durasteel pod. The last sound shook the pod and yanked on its passengers for the pod had made landfall.

The interior lights flickered to life and the view port was completely black and partly cracked. The pod was at an angle about a meter deep in mud and water. Varn unbuckled himself slowly and was careful to find a foot and hand hold otherwise he’d likely fall back onto the rest of the team. When Ranger Vindon asked for a minute Varn gave him a nod before he felt the subtle shift.

“Granted Ranger, but might want to make it quick, we’re sinking,” the Dashade gravely voice reported. Unfortunately for Charlie team, Varn’s voice was rarely comforting. The Ranger Captain climbed up to the pods hatch to unseal it. A hiss escaped and the foul smell of rot filled the pod, doing nothing to aid the occupants turning stomachs.

Varn gave a heavy huff as he shoved the hatch the rest today the way open causing a loud clanging sound to reverberate through the air. As he poked his head out and glanced around he allowed a sigh of relief to escape his lamprey like mouth. He noted that if they had landed just a few meters over they’d be swimming to safety right now. “Srid remind me to not let you pick landing zones next time,” it was difficult to know if the Dashade was joking or fully serious at this moment.

Srid himself didn’t give a response as he grabbed some gear and tossed it up to Varn who nodded and snatching it before he threw it towards the closest ‘dry’ ground. “Srid help me with the buoy, Kilt and Adar grab the rest of the camping gear. With that he reached down and began untangling the buoy from its safety restraints. With the aid of Srid, Varn pulled it out of the pod and together they leapt down to the wet ground. Trudging ankle deep in murky waters Varn reached the base of a large tree where he’d thrown the first pack before glancing back.

The green skinned Twi’lek was waiting outside the pod to assist Kilt and Adar as they exited with the rest of the gear. Even now Varn could see the pod ever so slightly sinking, tho he felt reassured that they’d be long gone before the earth truly swallowed it. “Status report and gear check.” Varn ordered as they regrouped before checking his own gear to make sure nothing was damaged in the drop. While he did so his dark eyes did go to Adar to see how well he was holding up after Ranger Vindon’s assistance.

Adar Bolner
Registered Member

Post by Adar Bolner » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:42 am

Adar took in a few deep breaths, and took his focus away from his feelings and the atrocious smell. He had not been in an actual planet in a long while, having spent most of his latest months in Koda Station. He was curious to see if the Force was different on Dagobah. As far as he could tell, no. Maybe when he got to the training grounds, he would notice something different. But that was for later. As he felt much better, he opened his eyes and unstrapped himself. Kilt had already grabbed half of the equipment. "The pod is slowly sinking. Grab the rest of the stuff and lets go towards the Captain." Adar nodded in agreement. But as he made sure he didn't leave anything behind, he realised that the dirty swamp water would stain his cloak. His suspisions were confirmed when he saw Srid and Kilt knee deep in it. He did his best to bring the cloak up to past his knees, and followed the others.

Both Kilt and Adar made it to Varn, and after laying down the equipment they took a moment to collect themselves. Adar sat down and breathed slowly, gathering his strength. Kilt did a few stretches, and examined the surroundings. Could have been worse, he thought. As Captain Varn called for status report, both Kilt and Adar made sure all their gear was still with them. Kilt was the first to report status. "No other team in sight, we'll have to check the radio. As for equipment... camp check, rations check, swamp gear check, camp check... compass seems to be missing." Ranger Vindon quickly checked his pockets, and he found nothing. "It's on me, sorry. Forgot to get it out of my chest pocket." And with that, all supplies were accounted for.

Adar noticed Varn looking towards him. He didn't know if it was out of concern, or something else, but Adar made sure to ensure that he was in good condition. "That was an interesting experience, but I'm holding on." He got up and moved towards the supplies, to help the two Rangers, when he realised something. "Excuse for asking everyone, but are meant to rendez vous with the other teams or head for the base?"

Had he spaced out in the briefing room or had he still not fully recovered from the landing? Either way, he could not recount the plan after landing. And he had hoped they would have landed closer to at least one other team. He waited to get an answer, either from Srid or Varn. Kilt seemed awfully quiet right now. Maybe he was the one not paying full attention on the debriefing. Adar smiled slightly at the thought.

-- Jedi GrandMaster Yoda

Varn Badaash
Registered Member

Post by Varn Badaash » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:45 pm

Varn gave a nod when Adar gave reassurance that he was holding together. Srid smirked as Adar asked about the rest of the teams. “Each team landed within a three mile radius from the base.” He chimed in. “We’ll all be converging on the base. This way we eliminate more hostile fauna from the surrounding areas and learn the terrain.” The Twi’lek looked to Varn who gave him a reassuring look that he wasn’t stepping on the Dashade’s toes. “Unfortunately Dagobahs thick swamp life and atmosphere makes standard comms difficult to use, we probably won’t have contact with the other teams till we are closer to the base.”

“Supposedly this world in so full of life that it makes it even hard for Force users to find each other,” Varn’s gravely voice broke in. “The archives I read suggest that that’s why the old Jedi Yoda used this place, it masked his very essence in the force.” The large Ranger shrugged, he didn’t know how much he believed since he himself would never be able to feel the flows of the Force. What he did know is this world sure as hell would make hiding out here easy.

Varn moved to the buoy and lugged it up over his shoulders. Srid walked over and helped strap its harness onto the Ranger Captain. He let the weight settle before taking his first step forward and adjusting his stance. “Alright Charlie team, grab a your packs, Ranger Vindon take point, Ranger Srid take rear guard, Padawan Bolner you’re with me in the center.” Varn’s dark eyes looked forward, three miles of this swamp scape. Their arrival had originally caused a lot of local wild life to scatter but as the team took their first steps Varn’s ears quickly picked up on the cooing and cawing of a variety of creatures in their vicinity.

“Keep your eyes sharp,” Varn shouted ahead to Kilt. “We don’t have a lot of intel on the creatures that call this place home.” With that he lifted his Prax rifle and scanned the surrounding as they hiked.

Adar Bolner
Registered Member

Post by Adar Bolner » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:25 am

Hearing what Srid and the Captain said, Kilt Vindon strapped the camp in his back, and got in front of the team. Adar for a moment tapped into the Force, and was shocked to confirm Varn's words were true. There was so much Living Force, that it made the flow of the Force dense and all over the place. This was so intense that he didn't know if even his Master would be able to sense anything other than the swamp. At least what he could sense was pleasant. Whatever life lived here was content with its place and role in the ecosystem. Adar tried a bit harder to sense for anything dangerous, but he failed.

"It is true that I cannot sense anything other than the swamp, but for what it is worth, nothing dangerous came up. I guess I'll have to rely on my eyes as well for this mission."

Adar picked up as many food rations as he could, and followed next to Captain Varn as the team moved through the swamps. He tried so much to not get stained, but it proved futile rather quick. His disappointment was clear for everyone to see, but he remained focus on the mission. After about twenty minutes of walking through both swampy water and dry land, Kilt stopped abruptly, looking at the ground. Adar felt a feeling of shock comming from him, and went closer to him to see what he was looking at. As he did, Kilt got up and turned towards the Captain.

"Captain, please take a look. Footprints. Not of an animal. To me these are clearly of a boot."
"Of another team perhaps?" Adar chimmed in.
"If that is true, they are heading away from the base."

-- Jedi GrandMaster Yoda